Sunday, April 10, 2005

Gannon: Big shtick

Digby has a hilarious observation about Jeff Gannon's appearance at the National Press Club:

Gannon has quite the schtick going for him. I don't know if it's a natural gift or if he has had help, but he handled it all quite deftly, I thought. He makes absolutely no sense, wanders off into unrelated subjects, claims victimhood at every turn, avoids questions like a pro and appears to me to be incredibly stupid, arrogant and deluded all at the same time. A clown that nobody in their right mind could take seriously. In others words, meet the next GOP nominee for President of the United States...

I think Gannon's assertion that FOXNews is not conservative was his "Christ, he changed mah heart moment." I expect that he's on his way to a comeback. The right takes care of its own, even if they sell out the country to the Russian mob or advertise their prositution services with pictures of themselves pissing on the internet. It's all good.

Matt Yglesias was just great and I especially enjoyed his incredulous amusement at Gannon's nonsense. It is always difficult to argue with aliens from other planets, but I thought that Matt did it very well.
Reports agree that Wonkette was the true star of the evening. Apparently, the lady knows how to kick ass as well as...

(Hmm. I'm not quite sure how to phrase the rest of that sentence. Maybe I should just leave the thought unvoiced.)

According to this precis of the occasion, Gannon/Guckert told the assembled reporters that his sad predicament means "no one is safe." (That's true, if the phrase "no-one" is limited to prostitutes posing as fake journalists.) He also insisted that Bloggers are EVIL.

Oh, Jeff, Jeff. Bloggers are (in the words of Mike Myers) the margarine of evil. If you want to get a gander at the real thing, take a look at a certain mysteriously well-funded fake news publication...

2 comments:

Barry Schwartz said...

My wife informed me that the panel was on the tube, but I chose to continue watching bull riding while playing the flute, or whatever it was I was doing.

One reason Ana Marie Cox gets invited to these things has to be that Wonkette is a commercial, money-making operation. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just to keep it in mind. Air America Radio also is a commercial, money-making organization.

Barry Schwartz said...

Oh, and also Ana Marie Cox is an established writer-editor in the periodicals trade.