Thursday, March 24, 2005

New bill would allow students to sue non-rightist professors

Unbelievable. Check out this story from Florida.

My girlfriend is going to college, and she reports that her conservative prof teaching 20th Century American History felt free to regale the students with endless opinions, most of which veered right. I'm not bothered by his actions -- his views, I'm told, were somewhat eclectic and unpredictable, and he gave my lady the A she deserved. I was, however, a tad annoyed to learn that he wasted so much class time elaborating his personal weltanschauung that he had to squeeze the last 50 years of the 20th Century into roughly one week.

I also gather that my ladyfriend's more left-leaning professors feel constrained to keep their anti-Bush opinions hidden. They don't discuss their beliefs except when they know they are among friends.

The right-wing attack on academia is pure propaganda. During my own academic career (which occurred in a past more distant than I care to reveal) I encountered exactly one professor who made his hard-left views known. I'm sure that today's academics are even more thoroughly cowed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to college at Florida State and don't remember ever being offended by a "leftist" professor attempting to impose his/her views on others. I did minor in history, however, and recall two of my male professors who seemed overly fascinated by the details of past wars, including body counts and military strategy. If anything, I'd say that their barely concealed political views swayed far to the right.
Kim in PA