Friday, December 24, 2004

Did the "Phantom" have a daughter?

(A serious post should arrive soon; for now, a bit of fluff...)

Once, I was a massive film buff, but the Bush economy has forced me to, well, economize. My lady, however, insisted that we see the movie version of "Phantom of the Opera."

The story, I was surprised to learn, boils down to a love triangle in which a rich young guy competes with a black-clad, talented, tortured misfit with a homicidal streak. Fortunately, ladies still have a soft spot for the bad boys; our Phantom might have won the competition, had he kept his body count to a manageable level.

A mere five years ago, Andrew Lloyd Weber's score would have evinced the expected snarky commentary, but now -- perhaps as a sign that the purulent ichor within my veins has turned to syrup -- I find myself asking: If cobbling together a hummable tune is such an easy trick, why do so few others manage it? The lyrics were often silly and obvious, but the same complaint can be lodged against most grand operas. As Christine, Emily Rossum is splendid, but Gerard Butler, in the title role, didn't have the range or the power. I'm not a fan of pretty-boy Phantoms.

My attention turned toward Jennifer Ellison, and not just because of her notably plush cleavage. My ladyfriend informed me that her character, Meg, is the daughter of Madame Giry, the Phantom's secret helper. A thought occurred to me as I drifted off to sleep: Is the Phantom Meg's father?

The film contains a number of subtle visual clues which may support the idea. I never saw the stage version or read the book. Has this idea existed within the material all along, or did I just imagine things?

I'll be back within the hour, with something more serious to say. In the meantime, happy holidays.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry XMAS Joseph, to you and your family!

Bozos for Bush
John

Joseph Cannon said...

To you as well. And to all.

Anonymous said...

I really liked the info on your site about Phantom Of The Opera - nice work. I've just started my own Phantom Of The Opera Secrets blog and would really appreciate you stopping by