Sunday, September 12, 2004

To illustrate the point...

I presume that some who read the post below did not go to the trouble of conducting the suggested experiment. So I put together a handy-dandy illustration to prove the point. You can see it by clicking here.

Before folks write predictable letters to me: Yes, I know that the CBS docs have "been through the wringer" -- they were photocopied and perhaps Faxed. I maintain that no matter what you do to an original produced using the Microsoft Word Times New Roman font, no matter how thoroughly you degrade such a piece of source material, you still won't end up with characters such as those seen on the CBS documents.

And yes, I know that I misspelled the word "especially" in the comparison at the other end of the above link. Have a heart, people...! I'm under tremendous deadline pressure today, and I just don't have the time to upload a corrected version.

Oh, and one final point: It seems likely to me that any forger careful enough to get the basic format, terminology, places, dates and names correct wouldn't have been so sloppy as to slap together a hoax using Microsoft Word. No, such a forger would have gone out and purchased an old typewriter -- at least, that's what I would have done.

Of course, the above argument presumes that a forger did not want his work exposed as such.

No comments: