Thursday, June 17, 2004

Psycho-journalism?

Journalism, they say, is the first draft of history. But there are many ways of writing history. One of the most controversial is the "psycho-historical" approach, which tries to get inside the heads of the influential leaders of the past.

What term do we use for the first draft of a psycho-history of George W. Bush? "Psycho-journalism" comes to mind.

I'm not comfortable with that term. I'm not comfortable with the very idea.

I am very comfortable, however, with the concept of doing unto others as has been done unto me. I recall that some waspish stabs at psycho-journalism hit print in the wake of the Lewinski scandal. These attempts to place Bill Clinton on the couch were, of course, thinly-disguised examples of conservative agit-prop meant to picture that president as a cross between the Divine Marquis and Emmanuel Goldstein.

Now it's W.'s turn on the couch.

A couple of weeks ago, writers at Capitol Hill Blue knocked on Bush's noggin and heard some disturbing echoes. Bush, they said, was losing touch with reality. Today, they've followed up that article with a piece claiming, in no uncertain terms, that Bush is going around the bend. Once again, no first-hand sources are cited, although we do have testimony from bona-fide qualified shrinks, at least one of whom is a Republican.

Do I, in my heart of hearts, approve of this sort of journalism? Er...well. Ahem. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Must admit, though -- sure is nice to see it happening to the other team for once!

No comments: