Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pressure from the left

I'm going to attempt an objective post here, one which both Obots and anti-Obots might read without too much grimacing. In a recent piece, we took a look at Glenn Greenwald's excellent observations concerning the left's rather too close embrace of all things Obama. To recapitulate:
During the 2008 election, Obama co-opted huge portions of the Left and its infrastructure so that their allegiance became devoted to him and not to any ideas.
The major problem now is that these entities -- the ones that ought to be applying pressure on Obama from the Left and opposing him when he moves too far Right -- are now completely boxed in. They've lost -- or, more accurately, voluntarily relinquished -- their independence.
The lack of any independent political pressure from the Left ensures that Obama will be either content to ignore their views or will be forced to do so even when he doesn't want to.
Greenwald then quotes Matt Yglesias:
If you succeed in muting all your critics to the left, all you do is create a situation where your program is defined in the press and the congress and the public imagination as the most-leftwing-possible proposal. And the furthest-left proposal can’t possibly win.
Greenwald adds:
I wouldn't quite put it this way, because I don't believe that anyone should be advocating for positions to the Left of Obama simply as a tactic to make Obama's policies seem more centrist and therefore more likely to be accepted. But his general point is still true: criticizing Obama from the Left (as, say, Paul Krugman has been doing in the stimulus debate) expands the scope of the debate in a very important way that can only advance the Left's political goals and, incidentally, enable/force Obama to avoid the Center and Right.
Sorry for the lengthy quotations, but now we should all be up to speed.

While re-reading Greenwald's observations, one bit of history flashed into my noggin: 1993-1994. The Clinton health care initiative.

His health care plan received plenty of criticism from left-wing writers, many of whom spread myths and lies with all the careless vigor of a Rush Limbaugh. (See here and here -- and thanks for the links, Sergei.)

In previous posts, we have discussed the great (and largely unrecognized) harm done to this country by progressive purists who, in 1993-94, cried "Nationalized health or nothing!" Nothing was what they got. Nothing may, in fact, have been what they unconsciously wanted. Purists don't like the messy, compromised business of governance nearly as much as they like bitching and whining. At any rate, anyone with any intelligence back in 1993 understood that the country was still very conservative and still very much enthralled by the Reagan mystique. Even Clinton's formidable political skill could not wrest control of the national debate from the radio right. Single payer simply was not going to happen.

So: Pressure from the left proved to be quite destructive during that debate. In fact, pressure from the left did little good and much harm throughout the Clinton administration. The lefty journals -- The Nation, The New Republic, Z Magazine and so forth -- were almost as toxic as The American Spectator and the Wall Street Journal's editorial page. Alexander Cockburn's column in The Nation often injected right-wing anti-Clinton conspiracy memes into the left.

I don't want that history to repeat itself.

Make no mistake: I don't like Obama, and I don't wish him well. I think he's crooked. I would love to see him impeached and replaced by Joe Biden. My feelings about the man have not softened and never will soften.

But right now, he's the president -- the only one we have -- and times are perilous.

We were in a similar position back in September of 2001: Lots of people who knew that George W. Bush was a crook and a fool nevertheless rallied around him during a time of national crisis. Like it or not (and I hated it), he was the only president we had.

We now face another crisis. A worse one.

Such times force the president -- any president -- to consider politically risky measures. These measures include nationalizing some banks, letting others fail, replacing free trade with fair trade, creating massive public works projects, insuring that nothing like the derivatives racket ever appears again, printing more money, allowing inflation to rise, raising taxes on the wealthy, and imposing tarrifs on products created by outsourced labor.

Such things cannot be done by a Democratic president if the party is at war with itself.

On the other hand, such things will not be done unless the left forces Obama to do them.

Paradox.

Is Greenwald right? If the left regains the ability to criticize the president, will the president be prodded to do the right thing? Or will bickering lead to simple inertia, as occurred in 1993-94? How do we resolve the paradox?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

All you can do is be honest and principled - that's it. There is nothing besides that. If Obama produces a good bill - support it. If he doesn't, fight him. What else is there?

It's the same way that you and I both tackled the birth certificate scandal. I don't like bullshit and I don't care who that bullshit is directed at. For me, it was our national discourse which was at stake in the birth certificate scandal. How dare any of us pollute something as serious as the race for the presidency of the world's most powerful nation with something as idiotic as that?

It's going to rough. Personally, I think Obama is only slightly left of Reagan and way to the right of Bill Clinton. So, I'm not expecting to like much. But I have been defending the stimulus bill to the degree that I can honestly.

What is scary to me is that I do not think that we have any kind of chance for a decent president now for eight years. Either Obama wins re-election or he loses to a Republican - either way, that's eight years away before the Democratic primary is open again. That means 16 years of disastrously bad leadership. It's a far cry from where we were when Clinton left office.

Anonymous said...

Joseph, I have a problem supporting a crooked president. Bush's character was defective, hence his policies were defective. If Americans had not supported Bush so blindly, he would not have had the power act like an emperor up until the 2006 elections.

Anonymous said...

"Dear leaderism" didn't work out so hot for the GOPers either.

As far as I can tell Obama isn't a Democrat, so I'm gonna treat him like a Republican until he proves otherwise.

Anonymous said...

You make a very interesting argument. Without speaking to the merits one way or another, it hardly seems fair to characterize "The Left" by The New Republic -- which, as you say, injected right wing memes into the discourse.

That said, why is the appropriate analogy Clinton, and not FDR? With FDR, no left, no New Deal.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Obama is never forced to do anything. In fact, he will directly oppose them. Have you seen the new publicity operation he's got going against those that oppose him? He will turn against the US and is doing so as we speak. He is acting more and more like a dictator. However, the people will perhaps wake up if Obama is pushed to a point where he will take it too far.

Anonymous said...

First we need a new definition for what is Left. During the primaries and the election what the leftists did left me kind of skeptic. They didn't look like any left I knew, so don't expect much

hipparchia said...

over the past 100 years or so, roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of the public has preferred single payer national health insurance [it's been as high as 89% in the past]. it's hardly a 'purist' position to demand that politicians deliver what a huge majority of the voters want.

Anonymous said...

We need a popular uprising, demonstrations by the unemployed, foreclosure victims, etc. etc. That plus criticism from the newly awakened left seems the only chance to me.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!

Perry Logan said...

There's also the fact that--in addition to their other recent accomplishments--the Repubs have conferred dictatorial powers onto the Office of the President. Our criticisms--anyone's criticisms--of the President don't matter unless the President wants them to.

Anonymous said...

The Constitution of the United States of America
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I shall do what my constitution demands..I don't care what anyone thinks of that..it is my responsibility ..I do not care about Parties. I learned In Iowa last year working for Edwards, there are no longer two parties, when I went to work as a co-captain of a caucus..there is one party, with one big money pot in the middle..if anyone chooses to fool themselves otherwise..that is all of our problems, but it will not deter me from my responsibility as an American, and my constitutional obligations. I will speak out about this crook, as I spoke out about Bush, to not do so will repeat the failures of this nation to stop wars of lies and cause other families to loose loved ones, based on a fraud similar to that what was perpetuated against my co-workers and their families on 9/11 and innocent people who lost their lives and their families that bare that loss.
This was no less a coup than 2000 was a coup.
Obama was not nominated. Obama is a fraud just as sure as Bush was..it was a coup.
My vote was not counted in Florida , and the delegates elected to represent me did not get to vote as I voted them to.

Nor were delegates in California , nor NJ.
It was all done in "PLANE" site, as we in the airlines say.

Please do not think I can be fooled, as I was an elected Dem delelgate for my state of Florida in 2004..I know how it works, and I know that democracy has lost, you and I as Americans have lost, we have all lost what we will never get back and that is the democracy we grew up believing in.
I can not be bought by any president, it is my obligation to speak out and scream out when they are corrupt and have stolen my White House, and I will do so loud and clear and no one will shut me up,not any party, not today and not tommorrow. And not for any damn party.,

I am an American, my country comes first and we have lost our way when we allow a crook to sit in our White House and keep silent.
My co-workers were silenced on 9/11, because a nation stayed silent or very few of 300+ million screamed out..most stayed silent in Dec 2000..we were told , move on, get over it..my co-workers are dead , My neighbors son and daughter are dead.. they have no voice, but I will forever be their voice and I will never get over a cheat sitting in my White House...not in 2000 and not now!!!.I will never be silent about a crook in my White House..silence... silences all of us , some forever!

Sextus Propertius said...

Throughout the Interminable Campaign From Hell, whenever anyone pointed out that Obama was the most right-wing of the Democratic candidates, his self-proclaimed "progressive" acolytes would swear that they would "hold his feet to the fire" should he dare to behave like the corporate hack he so obviously was. Well, it's mid-February. The God King is securely enthroned upon his Solar Throne, dispensing largess to the plutocrats who put him where he is. Universal healthcare is off the table. Rendition isn't such a bad idea after all. Waterboarding is pretty obviously okay. To get a bailout, GM is going to have to screw their workers and retirees even longer and harder than they've been screwed already. There will be money for tax cuts, to appease the Republicans - but there will be no help for the working men and women who are on the street.

Every time the Anointed One illuminates my television, I search for faint wisps of smoke wafting upward from the Blessed Toes. I do not see them. I sniff for the aroma of burning shoe leather, but all I can detect is the ever-so-faint hint of brimstone.

And I see that Frank Rich of the NYT is apparently mainlining koolaid to this very day.

It's going to be a long four years.

Anonymous said...

What Sextius said. Perfect!