Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Paranoia, anyone?

Hey, kids! If you suspect that your own computer is spying on you, you may want to try this fun-n-easy experiment. Requirements: You MUST be using Windows. (I'm using XP, but the trick probably works on other versions.) And you MUST use Notepad. (Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories.)

1.) Open an empty Notepad file
2.) Type "Bush hid the facts" (without the quotes)
3.) Save it as whatever you want. (I saved it to my desktop under "Hi.")
4.) Close it, and re-open it.

See what happens to your message. Weird, huh? As Ed Sanders used to say: Ooooo-EEEE-ooooo....

Now try the exact same steps with other messages, such as "Bush is a dope" and "Cheney is the real prez." Save under the same file name, if you wish. When you re-open the .txt file, your message will appear as normal.

But "Bush hid the facts" -- well. That's diffo.

(I'm told that there is a technical explanation for this -- something about unicode and ANSI and the way Notepad works. On the other hand, the phenomenon may have something to do with that krove.exe virus that's been going around...)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a software engineer - there is no reasonable explaination for this. Type it in, but include a period at the end, and you see the text.

Anonymous said...

Could you tell us Mac users what happens?

Anonymous said...

This is a known issue

Anonymous said...

Oh, way to go, Joseph. I just woke up from a mid-afternoon nap which was supposed to be a peaceful respite from crazy Paranoia of this nature, but which was instead a lengthy nightmare about the world turned into a personalized version of Margaret Atwood's greatest hits. I haven't had a dream like that in months. It was horrible. You didn't exist in my dreamworld, incidentally. Guess why? Something about too many "controversial" blog posts was what one of the folks there told me. A man who was only alive because he had shut down his own blog and started genuflecting at Bush on another web page he created. So, I wake up in a cold sweat, come to Cannonfire to make sure you're still with us and this is what I find? This is not good for my Paranoia, friend.

Anonymous said...

So has anybody translated it?

Anonymous said...

This could well be an Easter Egg.
Almost every program on your computer can do something weird loke that.