Monday, February 06, 2017

Franken for president

It's real.

I'd like to see the BernieBros try to portray Al Franken, SNL graduate, as just another Establishment toady.

I'd prefer a younger man. I'd also prefer someone who talks faster. But he's good enough, he's smart enough -- and doggone it, he's not fascist.

Bonus: If the right-wing conspiracy-mongers start peddling paranoid theories about a Jew, they will inevitably reveal themselves as what they always were: Modern versions of Julius Streicher. Let's force the Alex Jonesians and the Breitbarters to serve their anti-Semitism straight up, without any masquerade masks and euphemisms. Let's no longer allow them to pretend that they're really concerned about "the Illuminati" or "the Globalists" or "the One-World Gummint" or the "Build-a-Burgers" or any of the other scarecrows they've erected.

(Enforced honesty would have been the one good outcome of a Bernie Sanders candidacy.)

Added note: In the previous post, I said that I stopped watching SNL around the time Eddie Murphy left. That's not entirely true; I caught some of the Stuart Smalley episodes. Although I liked them, I couldn't visualize an expansion of those skits into a full-length film, so I gave the movie Stuart Saves His Family a miss during its theatrical run. Big mistake, that. When I finally caught up with the film on VHS, it turned out to be my favorite comedy of the 1990s.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously what was he honest about?

Joseph Cannon said...

You mis-read, anon. I meant a Jewish candidate -- ANY Jewish candidate -- would force the right-wing conspiracy-pushers to be candid about their anti-Semitism.

Propertius said...

Let's force the Alex Jonesians and the Breitbarters to serve their anti-Semitism straight up, without any masquerade masks and euphemisms.

One wonders how those antisemitic Breitbarters deal with the fact that Andrew Breitbart was Jewish.