Saturday, September 24, 2016

Trust Him Not

I was among those who felt certain that Christie endorsed Trump in exchange for the vice-presidency. Now it seems more likely that Christie was promised a pardon -- or at least some sort of job after he gets hounded out of office in New Jersey. Or maybe Trump just likes being photographed next to someone even chubbier than he is.

The Ted Cruz endorsement troubles me even more.
"There were no deals," he said. "We had been engaged in conversations. You know it's been a decision as I said I've been thinking about and praying about for weeks and months...
Yeah. Right.

There is something almost Shakespearean here. (I'm thinking of the "War of the Roses" plays.) What Trump did to Cruz' family went beyond forgiveness, yet forgiveness has come -- prodded, no doubt, by political calculation, not Christian charity. Someone or something must have convinced Cruz that Trump will win. The World's Most Lovable Senator is up for re-election in 2018 and, according to report, a surprising number of Republican heavy-hitters covet his job, including Rick Perry, Josh Romney (Mitt's son) and George P. Bush. And so Cruz grovels, though probably for naught: I think that President Trump will screw Cruz over no matter how deeply the Persecuted One genuflects.

“For trust not him that hath once broken faith.”

“Why, I can smile and murder whiles I smile,
And cry 'content' to that which grieves my heart,
And wet my cheeks with artificial tears,
And frame my face for all occasions”

-- King Henry VI, Part Three.

4 comments:

Ivory Bill Woodpecker said...

I have read the opposite idea: Oliver Cruzwell expects the Orange Grifter to lose, so Cruzwell is positioning himself to win the good will of the Trump Chumps for the "Cruzwell in 2020" campaign.

I don't know if I coined "Oliver Cruzwell" or not, but it is not copyrighted. Everyone please feel free to use it. ^_^

Michael said...

I'm waiting for Trump to run a Born-Again con. (Finds Jesus, all is forgiven)

Ivory Bill Woodpecker said...

If the Grifter ever became a genuine Christian, it might be the most remarkable conversion since the conversion of Saul of Tarsus.

Speaking of which...

Anonymous said...

Naahh, he won't need a born again moment.
He is already forgiven by his supporters which is the whole purpose of the born again charade.
Jesus's forgiveness is never really in play.
M