Tuesday, August 26, 2014

It's National Dog Day!

You've heard of Mother's Day and Father's Day -- but did you know that we also celebrate National Dog Day?

My beloved Hell-Hound, Bella, remains the one unalloyed joy in my life. I may be a snarling, sneering, antisocial old cynic, but I still love my dog. She's getting on in years now, and doesn't scamper the way she used to. When she walks to the park, sometimes she limps slightly on the way home. Since there is no injury to any of her paws, I can only presume that arthritis is having an occasional flare-up.

We have her on the healthiest diet I can devise -- chicken or turkey, tuna or sardines, broccoli and some genuine old-fashioned oatmeal. Cold-water fish is supposed to be a cancer-fighter. She used to eat a lot of rice, but I've read that a moderate amount of oatmeal is healthier.

Last year, we nearly lost her. Thanks to the contributions of my readers, she had the operation she needed. I will ALWAYS be grateful.

Happy National Dog Day -- and feel free to tell us all about the special canine in your life.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bella is a beautiful dog! dogs are so much easier to relate to them people!! thanks for this article and a reminder of how much i too love our dog - bell... james

Anonymous said...

" I may be a snarling, sneering, antisocial old cynic, but I still love my dog. "

*****

" When a man's dog turns against him it is time for a wife to pack her trunk and go home to mama. "

Mark Twain

*****
j ;)

iwarmonger0 said...

He's adorable in a scruffy kind way. Glad he's better now.

Joseph Cannon said...

Thanks. I know she's a ragamuffin, but she hates being groomed, and we don't have the heart to do anything she doesn't like....

I believe the term is puppywhipped.