Image and video hosting by TinyPic














Thursday, August 08, 2013

Ghost radar!

I'm sick of writing NSA stories and you're sick of reading them. So right now, I'd like to talk about something that happened as I was walking home from breakfast at Mickey D's.

I heard a small boy sobbing and crying for aid: "Can somebody help me?" He stood just outside of his quaint row house.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"My Mommy and Daddy aren't home and I can't go back in," he said.

"Why not?"

"There's a GHOST!" he cried.

"How do you know there's a ghost?" I asked.

"I was down in the basement and I heard it walking. Real loud. And it was on the radar."

"Radar...?" I asked.

"Ghost radar! iPhone!" He started crying again. I later learned that there is an iPhone app called Ghost Radar, which allegedly identifies paranormal activity in any given location.

I informed him that a lot of people don't believe that ghosts exist.

What really concerned me was the idea of a very young child being home alone. I questioned him as to where his mother and father worked.

At that point, a young lady -- of adult age, or nearly so -- popped out of the front door. She identified herself as the boy's sister. Naturally, I was gratified to learn that the youngster had not been left by himself.

I told her that her younger brother had become convinced of the presence of a ghost in the basement.

"No way," she said. "I sleep in that basement every night. No ghosts."

"Were you walking around on the floor above the basement just now?" I asked.

"I guess. Maybe."

A small dog escaped the front door. The boy -- no longer weeping or upset -- merrily went chasing after it.

Does this anecdote have a point? Well, not a political point -- although if you are imaginative enough to discover a political angle, you will have my deep respect.

But perhaps we can draw a practical lesson from this tale. Parents, please be careful as to which apps you let your child use without supervision. And if you do allow a kid to play with your "ghost radar," make sure the youngster understands the concept of the false positive.

So tell me: Has anyone ever had success using the Ghost Radar app?
Comments:
I disagree completely, about the children. Hopefully that child will learn a valuable lesson in using logic and rational thought from this experience, and the more important lesson not to trust either woo or iPhones.

I'm sure there's a political point to be made, maybe something to do with amber-alerts or something to do with child-related fearmongering, maybe the tiny number of child abductions by strangers or bring it back around to the NSA using stranger danger and kiddy-fiddlers to justify their eavesdropping. Everything's about the NSA.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is 

powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?


























Image and video hosting by TinyPic


FeedWind



FeedWind




FeedWind