Wednesday, September 05, 2012

The NYT says what I've been saying for years...

...and it's about time:
To hear Republicans on the campaign trail, the United States could not have elected a more left-wing president than Barack Obama, one more hostile to business or more eager to expand government power. Left-wing Democrats, I’m sure, would disagree. If they had their druthers, they would probably make a more liberal, more pro-big government choice. Somebody, perhaps, like Richard Nixon.
I'm tying to think of something to add to this, and I can't. In fact, the rest of the New York Times piece is superfluous. Those words summarize both my own position on Obama and my larger view as to what has gone wrong in this country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nixon was a big bag of neurosis, with a smaller bag of psychosis. He wanted, most of all, to be liked. That is the only consistent behavior he displayed. I think Pat had some influence over his decisions. In fact, the cited actions resemble FDR, (Nixon took us off Gold Standard, FDR recalled all gold) and FDR, like Obama had some conservative views which have been attenuated by both First Ladies, and I believe Michelle will be seen as an Historical influence, just as we've seen Eleanor's role. I am voting against Romney, as well. As for moving the MOR politics to the Right, so that middle seems 'Left'; that's the very thing which has mobilized DEMs into a more militant activism.

I call it the 'shock of recognition'

Ben