Image and video hosting by TinyPic














Friday, August 03, 2012

"By extra-legal means..."

Roger Ebert reviews a film called The Queen of Versailles, about a couple who built the largest private home in the United States. The founder of that feast was a man named David Siegel, who became a billionaire via a time-share company called Westgate Resorts. Here's the part that should interest political bloggers:
He [Siegel] boasts that his money got George W. Bush elected, and then adds with a twinkle in his eyes, "by extra-legal means." He confesses that he lost some enthusiasm for Bush after his invasion of Iraq.
Intriguing. Just how did this man contribute to an "extra-legal" election victory? Earlier today, Business Week looked into that matter:
“I’m not bragging, I’m just stating the fact: I personally got George W. Bush elected,” Siegel told me during two days of interviews. “I’m not proud of it. I feel like I’m responsible for all the problems in the world.” By that he meant, mostly, the then-deteriorating situation in Iraq.

Here’s Siegel’s account of how he swung the election in Bush’s favor: “Whenever I saw a negative article about [Al] Gore, I put it in with the paychecks of my 8,000 employees. I had my managers do a survey on every employee. If they liked Bush, we made them register to vote. But not if they liked Gore. The week before [the election] we made 80,000 phone calls through my call center—they were robo-calls. On Election Day, we made sure everyone who was voting for Bush got to the polls. I didn’t know he would win by 527 votes. Afterward, we did a survey among the employees to find out who voted who wouldn’t have otherwise. One thousand of them said so.”
Robo-calls are illegal -- usually. What surprises me is that they are effective. If you use irksome means to push me into action, I will tend to go in the opposite direction.


This page is 

powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?


























Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Image and video hosting by TinyPic


FeedWind



FeedWind




FeedWind