Image and video hosting by TinyPic














Thursday, April 14, 2011

Oh, say can you see...the big screen and the small print

So I finally did the Fort McHenry tour, which is one of those things ya just gotta do when in Baltimore. I liked the film shown in the visitor's center. All my life, I've wanted to see a movie projected in a system as wide as the Ultra-Panavision aspect ratio, and here it was.

Actually, I think that the Fort's film is even wider. I also suspect that it was shot digitally. If you're curious about the original Ultra-Panavision system, the DVDs of Ben Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty and Greatest Story Ever Told represent the aspect ratio accurately -- alas, your monitor is no substitute for a 110 foot curved screen. I am reliably told that Panavision still keeps the cameras and lenses in perfect working order, just in case...

You know the aspect of my visit that I enjoyed most all? The bookstore offers many patriotic books and keychains and flags and other paraphernalia -- and if you examine these items closely, you'll discover that most of them were made in China.


This page is 

powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?


























Image and video hosting by TinyPic


FeedWind



FeedWind




FeedWind