Tuesday, December 29, 2009

AIEE!! They're on to me!

A link to the Grinch thingie appeared here. An angry bot -- I presume that she is a bot -- offered these hilarious words:
I don't know who the person behind Cannonfire is but their are DONATE buttons all over the page. It is obviously a site to get your money.

I would not put much stock in the information posted there as it is partisan, not balanced or well researched (thankfully they are not hiding that fact), and again it is obviously to make money of you.
For the record, I (there is no "they" here) made less than $150 from the Google ads last year. The other ads are all unpaid links to sites/causes in which I believe. The Christmas parody fetched one 50 dollar donation, for which I am very grateful. Many months pass without donations of any kind, which is fine. I turn down all offers of swag, such as free books or movie tickets, in order to restrict outsider access to personal information.

What is it with people? Why do ninnies always presume that anyone who expresses an unwelcome opinion must be motivated by lucre?

I discourage blogroll links and have even demanded that high-traffic sites (such as RAW Story) de-list Cannonfire. I have refused all offers to appear on the radio or to do lectures. I take none of the steps "experts" recommend to build traffic.

Nevertheless, the accusations appear on a routine basis: "Oh, Cannon said that to make money!" Or: "He said that just to increase his readership stats!" I heard that last claim often when I first came out against Obama in 2008, even though it made no sense. Why would a blogger desperate for higher traffic piss off readers?

If you wish to operate without any censorship, you must sneer at stats. Free yourself from all thought of reward or result. Do for the sake of doing, and to hell with the outcome. All bloggers should run their sites with the mad glee of a guy trying to get fired from his job. The only truly free speech is free speech -- as in unpaid.

As for research: I can usually find out any hidden fact whose absence gnaws at me, although the process of digging may take years. If my critics possessed any research skills, they would know that nobody gets into political blogging to make money. Not these days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Christmas parody fetched one 50 dollar donation, for which I am very grateful."-Cannon

Say, that was 4 a picture of your nipples ;-) Don't disappoint now. Just messing with ya!

Yup, I finally got the joke of the Green...'Wall Street Green' for $$$$...via the marketing bit. You some times are too clever and it takes me days to figure it out, but yes I thought it was too funny and had many true insights in it. Naturally they notice your wit too and you ruffled their feathers a bit, just means your 'infamous'

Zee said...

If she wants to see a "partisan" site that is nonstop "DONATE DONATE DONATE we need another $10,000 by midnight!!!!" she should go check out Mark Obamafluffer Karlin's Buzzflash.com.

Amin Sirias said...

I just want you to know that I have been following your blog via a blog rrrrooollllll (roll your R's)...God forbid....for about a year now. In fact I follow many blogs like this and have not donated a single cent to any of them. Sometimes I wish I could throw gold coins at blogs like this because of the great favors they are doing for everyone with their diligence of trying to share the truth of what they know with everyone, something that no longer exists in popular media. My dear Cannonfire and other blogs like yours.... You are doing a service to humanity that most likely won't be recorded or accounted for until we all come face to face with Our Maker. Keep up the good work and bless you all.

Peace is achievable through an undying commitment to the truth.

S Brennan said...

I was a great post* Joseph

*more than fully covered elsewhere.

NYSmike said...

Ahh Joe, sounds like a bot to me. When they can't deny they look for something else to change the subject.

pvc said...

A truly memorable rant. In an age where totalitarian capitalism pushes to subsume everyone and everything to its markets, to refuse to monetarize something is a act of revolutionary resistance. Not much of one but it's perhaps all we've got available.

MrMike said...

Sounds like an argument from someone who has nothing else. Just like the Bushies with their, "But, Bill Clinton did x, where were you then?"
Since most of the Bots are failed Young Republicans, I'm not surprised how low they were willing to go during the primaries and not defending the Failure and Chief.