Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A difficult post

I have a highly intriguing story involving AIG coming up soon -- probably later today. I must make a couple of calls before posting. (Yeah, this one involves some original spadework.) But right now, something else has come up. An important matter.

I've made a plea of this sort only once before, and on that occasion I hoped to aid someone else. Now, even though doing so makes me feel humiliated, I must once again ask my readers for help.

All over the country and around the world, checks now pass from payer to payee with a slowness redolent of Sergiu Celibidache conducting a Bruckner adagio after being dipped in pecan syrup. You may have noticed the phenomenon in your own life. In a recession, everyone robs Peter to pay Paul.

Hi. I'm Peter.

I used to be Joseph, but now I'm forced to play the role of Peter. In other words, I worked on a project and I am owed money, but the promised check has not arrived and may not arrive for a month or more. Which means that I'm running on fumes.

Well, I've had to live ultra-frugally before, and I don't mind doing so again. A month of pasta and cabbage won't kill anyone -- in fact, it'll probably be healthy. Many of you may be experiencing similar circumstances, times being what they are.

But here's the real problem: The landlord picked this moment to tell everyone staying in this place that he will, in less than a week, switch off the internet and the house phone (services which were part of the original rental agreement).

We can live without TV and phone, but the internet is a must. At least it is for anyone who wants Cannonfire to continue.

So I'm asking for help. Many of you are not flush these days, but a few of you may be in a position to be generous. The donation buttons should now function properly. If you are able to help, any little bit would be greatly appreciated, and not just by me.

Your aid would not only keep this humble blog online past June 1, you would also help two other fine people stay connected with the world. Those two people are also going through impossibly tough times -- ramen-eating-times. You know the kind. (Cutbacks at work: It's a common story.)

I apologize for making this request, and I promise not to make a habit of it. (In other words, I won't turn into Mark Karlin.) You have my thanks in advance, even if all you can send are good wishes.

For any donation of $20 or more, I'll draw and publish a political or non-political cartoon on any subject you wish. If you wish. (An example of my previous work can be found here.) Want to see Barack Obama dancing the twist as he tries to reconcile his governance with his promises? Want to see Dick Cheney blackmailing Satan? Want to see a picture of your family pet biting George Bush in the hindquarters? Now's your chance! Obviously, I can't do anything too salacious or personal or libelous, but there's a lot of leeway here, and it does not matter if I agree with the point you wish to express. (Although Comment Rule #2 applies here.)

19 comments:

kenoshamarge said...

Only left 10 bucks Joseph. Wish it could be more.Only thing worse than being poor is being too poor to help those you want to help. It sucks!

Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy said...

Joe,

Please check your e-mail. If you didn't get a message from me, perhaps I've incorrectly decoded your e-mail address.

BoomptyMcBloog said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dire straights. I was able to contribute $50. I hope this helps.

If you don't mind drawing a simple cartoon loosely based around the topic of reddit, I'd appreciate it. Take your time. I was hoping for something that might be used as part of the masthead for this forum:

http://www.reddit.com/r/alt_conspiracy/

Hey I never heard how that wikipedia entry you were working on turned out. Did that ever go anywhere?

Gary McGowan said...

My folks ran their own small business with one or two employees. Service, rather than selling stuff. Payment due in 30 days or monthly. Thus I was taught early on about those who operate on other people's money--holding back money YOU have already completed work for, even when you've been generous enough to give them slack to manage their affairs.

Me? I haven't had a car for some 12 years, the Honda 125 motorcycle is about 17 years old, and the bicycle I use daily cost about $100 a year or two ago. Forget credit cards (and debt)... I could go on, but at least in my own defense should mention I live in provincial Thailand in a situation where all the above doesn't make me a stand-out red-alarm threat to aparachucks, etc.

Here's hoping some kind people at the top over at Goldman Sachs or Morgan are reading and looking for a world-class buy in some artwork for the office wall. For a lot less than the price of lunch, they could have a drawing of them walking all over the competition or whatever.

Best wishes, sir.

Snowflake said...

Is there a way to mail you money?

I think that some post offices have a general drop off so that if someone sends a letter to someone they can come in and pick it up.

Gary McGowan said...

Off-topic, maybe, but...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Secret-meeting-of-worlds-richest-people-held-in-New-York-45304702.html

Hoarseface said...

For what it's worth, if you still have the internet you can still have your phone. I just recently became a user of "MagicJack" - you've probably seen the commercials - and long story short, $40 for the hardware + one year unlimited phone calls, via broadband internet by way of your USB drive. The quality gets dicey if your bandwidth is being monopolized (like downloading a torrent) and of course your PC has to be on to use it, but it works, and not too badly.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Joe-
I hope you will recover from being humiliated. Everyone needs a little boost now and then. it's part of being human. Although it's one of the least fun parts I'll admit. Keep your arms open and trust your friends here to help you fill them. I donated a little something to help. I wish it could be more and I will try to add more with my next paycheck. I appreciate your work.

Trojan Joe said...

Hi Joe--

I put 20 bucks in the Paypal kitty. No need for a custom cartoon, but I do make a humble request that henceforth you differentiate between unwelcome conspiracy "nuts" and your many friends who are inherently skeptical. After all, that's why we're here. Keep fighting on.

--Trojan Joe

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to donate to this blog for a while. I sent $20, but there's no need to draw me a political cartoon--your drawing of David Sirota tearfully awaiting another phone call from Obama cheers me up every time I think of it. I'd rather you keep choosing the subject.

I hope the ramen-eating times end soon for all concerned. I've been consuming lots of of ramen noodles myself lately, but that's only because I've had the flu. They're really not all that great for healthy people.

Best wishes to everyone, kenoshamarge included.

Inky

Sextus Propertius said...

Paypal sent.

Richard said...

20 on it's way. Have enjoyed reading this blog for a while now. All the best from the GWN.

Anonymous said...

I don't always agree with you, but I find that it is good to have all voices heard and active. I do enjoy some things you write and hope it all works out.

Anonymous said...

A cartoon I'd love: BO protecting Bush and Cheney from Joe and Valerie, the Lady of Justice, and anyone else you and your readers might add.

Joan

p.s. Markos Zombies was one of the best 'toons ever!

Nibbles McGee said...

I would if I could, man. I should be able to...later this summer, which doesn't help you right now, I know.

Cannonfire fans, including those ten loyal folks who have become followers of the blog, you'll have to pitch in.

m.jed said...

I'd like and can afford to, despite our political differences, but my blogging pseudonym is anonymous, but my PayPal is not. Given your proclivity to post people's personal information on your blog, I'm naturally reluctant.

If you set up a P.O. box or do what Snowflake suggests, I'd be happy to mail you a $20.

lori said...

I was complaining to a producer friend about the lack of work the other day - we're just getting eaten alive. He's a pretty successful guy who has produced a lot of PBS documentaries and the like. He got a phone call from his last gig telling him they weren't going to pay him. Ever. He said in thirty years of producing, he's never gotten a call like that.

It's bad out there.

Unknown said...

Just sent $50. Sorry to hear about your current distress. I don't always agree with you but find your range of subjects most interesting.

Cartoon: at your discretion, but something about the party of NO! would be interesting.

Dakinikat said...

Well, Bobby Brady Jindal has all of us in Louisiana Higher Education in tight straights. No summer classes for me which is a first in about 8 years, but I support free speech and truthiness!!! If any one finds me out in the FQ giggin this summer, be kind! I support my local blogger!

take care,
dkat