Monday, June 25, 2007

Is your cell phone spying on you?

Long time readers may have noticed a recurrent theme in our various explorations of Spook World: Telecommunications. This piece from Washington's News Tribune delivers a particularly odd and frightening variation on that motif.

Three families in a town called Fircrest are getting death threats on their cell phones. Repeatedly. Even when the phones have been well and truly shut off, and even after they replaced the devices.
For four months, the Kuykendalls, the Prices and the McKays say, they’ve been harassed and threatened by mysterious cell phone stalkers who track their every move and occasionally lurk by their homes late at night, screaming and banging on walls.

Police can’t seem to stop them. The late-night visitors vanish before officers arrive. The families say investigators have a hard time believing the stalkers can control cell phones without touching them and suspect an elaborate hoax. Complaints to their phone companies do no good – the families say they’ve been told what the stalkers are doing is impossible.

It doesn’t feel impossible to Heather Kuykendall and her sister, Darci Price, who’ve saved and recorded scores of threatening voice mails, uttered in throaty, juvenile rasps stolen from bad horror films.

Price and Kuykendall have given the callers a name: “Restricted.” That’s the word that shows up on their caller ID windows: on the land lines at home, and on every one of their cell phones.

Their messages, left at all hours, threaten death – to the families, their children and their pets.
Did you ever see a not-terribly-good horror film called The Mothman Prophecies, starring Richard Gere? In one scene, Gere -- sitting alone in a hotel room -- receives a phone call from a mysterious, mechanical voice who seems to know everything about him, including the fact that he is holding a tube of Chapstick.

The filmmakers claimed that this scene was based on a real event -- a claim I've heretofore doubted. But perhaps my skepticism was premature. Consider:
The stalkers know what the family is eating, when adults leave the house, when they go to baseball games. They know the color of shirt Courtney Kuykendall, 16, is wearing. When Heather Kuykendall recently installed a new lock on the door of the house, she got a voice mail. During an interview with The News Tribune on Tuesday, she played the recording.

The stalkers taunted her, telling her they knew the code. In another message, they threatened shootings at the schools Kuykendall’s children attend.
And:
Messages received by the sisters include snatches of conversation overheard on cell-phone mikes, replayed and transmitted via voice mail. Phone records show many of the messages coming from Courtney’s phone, even when she’s not using it – even when it’s turned off.
McKay, a teacher in the Peninsula School District, said she and Taylor recently explained the threats to the principal at Gig Harbor High School, which Taylor attends. A Gig Harbor police officer sat in on the conversation, she said.

While the four people talked, Taylor’s and Andrea’s phones, which were switched off, sat on a table. While mother and daughter spoke, Taylor’s phone switched on and sent a text message to her mother’s phone, Andrea said.
Are such attacks technically feasible? Apparently so:
Cell phone technology allows remote monitoring of calls, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce. Known as a “roving bug,” it works whether a phone is on or off. FBI agents tracking organized crime have used it to monitor meetings among mobsters. Global positioning systems, installed in many cell phones, also make it possible to pinpoint a phone’s location within a few feet.

According to James M. Atkinson, a Massachusetts-based expert in counterintelligence who has advised the U.S. Congress on security issues, it’s not that hard to take remote control of a wireless phone. “You do not have to have a strong technical background for someone to do this,” he said Tuesday. “They probably have a technically gifted kid who probably is in their neighborhood.”
I question the "technically gifted kid" explanation, since a young prankster probably would not have the ability to do physical surveillance. Besides, the facts indicate a team at work. Amateurs might well have been caught by now.

Obviously, anyone who intends actual physical harm to these people would not indulge in such an elaborate charade. If we discount the "just for laffs" theory, what do we have left?

It is perhaps worth noting that Richard Price, a member of one of the affected families, is an officer at McChord Air Force Base. That factoid leads me to suspect that these attacks constitute a psychological experiment of some sort. The military has certainly engaged in even more bizarre studies in decades past.

(Anyone who scoffs at the suggestion should look up an old book by the respected British journalist Peter Watson, called War on the Mind: The Military Uses and Abuses of Psychology, which is filled with strange-but-true anecdotes. In one chapter, the book recounts the tale of a small group of soldiers on an island who were led to believe that the rest of the world had perished in a nuclear war.)

Price's superiors and fellow officers would be in a position to track how the campaign has affected him. If the gambit succeeds in "breaking" his equilibrium and inducing paranoia, similar techniques may be applied to other targets -- for example, to a government whistleblower, or to someone like Cindy Sheehan.

Just a theory. Consider it.

7 comments:

ahtzib said...

The link to the original Mothman Prophecies book by John Keel is actually much stronger. I discuss that here

http://spookyparadigm.blogspot.com/2007/06/mobile-phone-poltergeist-john-keel.html

In fact, all of them resemble what some would call a poltergeist. Personally, I am skeptical of both the technological and paranormal explanations, and suspect that the local police might be right in thinking of a prank. But I don't have the evidence or expertise to really say that, other than to note that this is awfully reminiscent of other cases that are typically chalked up to paranormal or spiritual explanations, and then in turn by others to hoaxing by someone in the case.

Anonymous said...

Joseph,
I don't know whether it would have anything to do with this, but all cell phones, with the battery connected, send out regular signals, which is how the system knows which tower to send your calls tro. I suppose it would be possible to createa gadget that would be able to pick up these tones.

That's how some companies sell children tracking services---a reverse GPS>

Anonymous said...

Cannonfire--

I have two comments. I am hoping that they don't get me banned as I am a frequent visitor and semi-frequent poster here.

First, your new policy on posting is really a drag on the site. It ruins the conversational aspect of blogging.

Second, this article is kind of nutty. Where are you going with this?

Joseph Cannon said...

Fair questions.

First, I really do NOT dig moderating the comments. It's a bother.

But the trannies have it out for me. I've said it before and I'll say it again: They are more concerned with Cannonfire than with Congress. I have no idea why that should be so, but you should see some of the private email I get -- not to mention the stuff I don't allow to be published.

I'll also repeat what I've said before. This is my home. A place like DU is a public place (even though I am not welcome there). But THIS place is my home. I will not have people in my home who insult me -- and the trannies insult me constantly.

Neither will I allow in my home (my physical home or my virtual home) people I consider dangerous or evil. Do you think I would allow you in my physical home if you wore a swastika? Do you think you would stay long if you tried to convert me to Creationism?

Same thing with my virtual home.

Moderating the comments is similar to putting a peephole in my door -- it gives me a chance to check out who you are before I allow you to step inside.

Also understand this -- and let me be honest. I control very little in my own life. The boss tells me what to do work-wise, and the ladies in my life have usually ended up choosing what to eat and what furniture we use and so forth.

This blog is the one thing I AM in control of.

For years, I earned no money from this stupid site, despite putting in daily effort. Now I'm earning a little, thanks to one ad. It's not much, but it's enough to keep me from shutting down the enterprise altogether, as I had once planned.

The point I'm getting at is this: I am not going to justify myself beyond what I've already said. I simply do not care about what other people say about how I should run the one thing in this world I CAN run. The opinion of others matters nothing to me.

I know you mean well and I bear you no ill will. But I am not going to engage in further dialog about my policies.

I hope there are no hard feelings when I say -- the discussion ends there.

Okay, as for the second question: This is not the sort of piece I normally run. I probably would not have run it without the quote by Atkinson at the end. Those words bring things to a "down to earth" level.

Besides...it's a mystery. I love a mystery. Always have. Can't help myself!

DrewL said...

Found this related article on the web:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?ref=rss&storyid=84936

Some interesting quotes from the article, which mentions the Seattle mystery:

"There are several different ways that somebody can hijack your cell phone," said Kelly Forman who runs Spooktech Spy & Security Center on the Southside.

"One of the most common uses of hijacking your phone is enabling the GPS feature. They can track you via several different third party sources like on the internet," Forman said.

They are computer programs known as "Snoopware." Illegal versions of the software can be used to hijack a cell phone and even gain remote control of its applications.

"They can dial into you (sic) phone. Your phone doesn't ring and it becomes an open mic. So anybody within ear shot distance can hear everything that's being said on the phone," said Forman.

Forman said there is a device called a "Cellular Jammer" that prevents hijackers from doing damage but the technology is only available to law enforcement and the military.

(end quote)

I had wondered if Bluetooth enabled phones could allow "intruders" to hijack certain applications, perhaps send them to a nearby, bluetooth enabled receiver/transmitter, then send signals back and forth as if controlling the phone. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm certainly no technical expert on such things. Nonetheless, through some sort of cell phone malware, some pranksters are having a field day with this.

Anonymous said...

This is not a rude comment,don't you lot know "George Orwell 1984" we have a New Worlw Order of the "Chosen" Spies are up all yours and my asshole.Pete.UK.

Anonymous said...

From: Tim ____
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:58 PM
Subject: The FBI Can Eavesdrop on You Even When Your Cell Phone is Turned Off?

This reeks of BS but who knows, maybe it's right??? Should we believe FOX News?????

http://www.health-sky.com/html/the-fbi-can-eavesdrop-on-you-even-when-your-cell-phone-is-turned-off.html



Tim,
Yup, it sounds like BS, but it is true. See: http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/2007/06/is-your-cell-phone-spying-on-you.html

I talked to Mike D about this the other day after I read the article I linked to above.

Don't know if you know who Mike D is, but suffice it to say he is in a position to know (he is the one who told me years ago about your color printer's ability to track back to you (the original owner) via yellow dots).

M D said, "That's true, and that is why we do not allow cell phones anywhere near classified areas, period."

He went on to say that they can be on and appear to be off. They can be turned on remotely and appear to be off. They can capture pictures when they are apparently off. In other words, he confirmed everything the above article claims.

Sweet dreams,
Dan