Monday, December 04, 2006

Remember Foley?

Vanity Fair has just published the Mark Foley piece. The article indicates that Dennis Hastert engineered a cover-up. Although the authors do not accuse Hastert of sharing Foley's weakness for les boys, the Speaker's actions make a lot of sense if we keep in mind his unusual domestic arrangements. Have I ever mentioned them...?

Oh. It seems that I have.

The most interesting passages concern Foley's descent into corruption. Why and how did he, as a young man, fall in with a Savings and Loan wheeler-dealer?
At the time Foley was close to a very well-known man, Roy Talmo, the chairman of First American Bank and Trust in Lake Worth. Talmo, like Father Mercieca, was a powerful man, more than 20 years older, who lavished attention on Foley. "Mark was known as one of 'Roy's boys' in his 20s," says a friend of Talmo's. "Roy was the go-to guy in this county for whatever you needed, either financial or political," says André Fladell, a well-connected chiropractor in Delray Beach. Talmo put young Foley on the board of his bank, which became the largest stockholder in Cenvill Development Corporation, builder of Century Village, a chain of the biggest retirement communities in southeast Florida. Talmo's bank went under during the savings-and-loan debacle of the late 80s, and Cenvill went bankrupt. But not before Talmo reportedly put Mark in a number of high-stakes real-estate deals and taught him the art of the quick flip. Foley's most spectacular land shuffle was in 1986, when Talmo lent him $2.45 million to buy an abandoned golf course to turn around and sell to the school district for $2.91 million. In a matter of hours, Foley walked away with nearly a half-million dollars.
"He polished that handle so care-fullee..." So to speak. (Do a little Googling on Talmo and you'll come up with some very suggestive items -- for example, here and here and here.)

I should have mentioned earlier that Mark did his sexual compulsion rehab work not at a Scientology clinic in Florida (as originally reported) but at the Sierra Tucson clinic in Arizona. This page claims that former clients of the clinic have included Julie Andrews, Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr., Martin Lawrence and Patrick Swayze. Julie Andrews...? Seems our "Mary" was poppin'...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I realize this has nothing to do with the main point of your entry, but Julie Andrews allegedly has some very dark secrets in her past, including the birth of one illegitimate son who was surrendered to adoption in the early sixties. I wouldn't have believed any of it if I hadn't seen the photos of the man who claims to be this son, (the resemblance is striking) or cetain frames from the film Andrews was making while clearly pregnant. I've totally forgotten said film's title, sorry. A stint in rehab to deal with some of the ramifactions of all that isn't totally outside the realm of possibility.

Joseph Cannon said...

Yeah, but she had a wonderful voice, didn't she? Five octave range. This is the time of year to drag out the Christmas album.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Joe, she also has a wonderful voice.

Joseph Cannon said...

Okay, Jen, you had me curious. Julie was married to set designer Tony Walton in 1959, gave birth to a daughter in 1962, divorced Walton in 1968, and married Blake Edwards in 1969. So unless she cheated on Tony, that timeline does not leave much room for the son you mention.

Are you sure we're talking early '60s? The Andrews filmography (early years):

Mary Poppins 1964
Americanization of Emily 1964
Sound of Music 1965
Torn Curtain 1966
Hawaii 1966

SoM had a long shooting schedule (iirc), so I don't see how there was much room for a pregnancy in the 1964-66 period.

By the way, did you know that in 2004 she reprised her role as Mary Poppins in a video called "The Cat That Looked at a King"? I'm curious to know more about that...but I'd be embarrassed to rent a children's video!

Anonymous said...

Okay, no, now that you mention it, I'm not sure the alleged son was born in the sixties. And no, I didn't know about the Mary Poppings role reprisal, nor did I know about the vocal cord surgery. Yikers!

Alright, I'll go Google around and see if I can find the source (or maybe that should be "source") of my gossip.

Joseph Cannon said...

Final Julie note: I found a site put up by a Finn who claims (if I understand his bizarre ramblings) to be the illegitmate son of Julie Andrews and Adolf Hitler. he also seems to think that the real mother of Tony Walton's daughter is Bette Midler.

For some odd reason, most people have had a difficult time believing these allegations.

http://koti.welho.com/mjack1/

Same guy as your claimant, jen...?

On a poetic level, the phrase "illegitimate child of Julie Andrews and Adolf Hitler" pretty much sums up my attitude toward modern Western civilization.

Anonymous said...

Uh, maybe. But...what? Adolph Hitler? I'll have to go to the site, but I'd swear my "claimant" was less...insane than that.

Anonymous said...

Alright, I give up...for now.

Though not one of the sites I remember, the one at that link is funny. In a really sad way. And I hate to say it, but...Mr. Crazy (who might be "my" claimant) does sort of look like her.

...yeah. I'll just go back to bed now.

Anonymous said...

From the author of "http://koti.welho.com/mjack1":

Nobody claims to be to be the illegitmate son of Julie Andrews AND Adolf Hitler.

Anybody who says that hasn't read my site or doesn't understand English.

"Mary Poppins 1964
Americanization of Emily 1964
Sound of Music 1965
Torn Curtain 1966
Hawaii 1966"

I was born after these movies.