Friday, August 11, 2006

Moon: The hidden power

How rude of me! The Messiah has returned, and I've been ignoring him.

Well, I haven't completely ignored the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, but I've not devoted a post to him in months. Fortunately, this Daily Kos poster has kept on the case, offering a superb account of Moon's influence and further details on where "God" gets his money. Much of it was filched from the Japanese in various schemes. This filthy loot has funded America's evangelical Right, lining the pockets of such noteworthy figures as Apocalypse-peddler Tim LaHaye.

Many readers of the afore-linked Kos diary may not scroll down to see an important recollection from a former Moon cultist who posts under the nick "moonsucks." He recounts early insights into the Korean Messiah's political ambitions. I take the liberty of reprinting the story here:
Actually, Moon’s aggressive move into U.S. political affairs started well before the mid-80s. I know first-hand; I was part of it...


I joined the UC in the early 70s when in my state it was known as The Unified Family. Very catchy name just after the 60s. Typically, I was recruited while in college. We all lived communally then in what were called centers. A bizarre few years in my life.

Along with some others who didn’t have the 1000-mile-stare or mentality and were at least somewhat competent, I rose through the ranks. Argued for and helped make the transition from mall parking lot type fundraising to businesses. Then came politics.

1974 was a hell of a year for me, and for the country. Nixon was sinking fast due to Watergate. I wasn’t too sad as I cast my first presidential vote for McGovern. But now I was in the Unification Church and Father loved Nixon. I found myself fasting on the capitol steps with hundreds of other Moonies brought in from around the country to show support for Nixon. We were to chant “God needs Nixon” over and over. Fortunately, the koolaid never completely took me over. I changed my chant to “Nixon needs God” and the few near me who could hear that probably just assumed the fasting was scrambling my brain. I was so disgusted being there.

But more was to come. As I was reasonably competent, I was given a political assignment. I was told to get a Republican congressman elected to the U.S. Senate. The congressman still supported Nixon, and more importantly, Father wanted friends in Congress who would support Heavenly Father’s plan. Uh huh. This was to be a test case to find out if in sparsely populated states, the UC could roll in (of course under other names) with manpower and money to strongly affect congressional elections.
(To read the rest, click "Permalink" below)
I was too stunned to even be disgusted. Don’t ask why, but I accepted the assignment. Not because turning down leadership of a directive from Father would have been a career dampener.

I think I took it to prove to myself just how corrupt and dangerous the UC had become. Also in the internal politics of the church (which also disgusted me), I wasn’t judged very favorably by some. I wasn’t on message. So since few thought there was a snowball’s chance in hell of a non-incumbent Republican (very dirty word in 1974) winning a Senate seat that year, a big failure on my church resume would be welcomed by a few. So another part of the reason I took the assignment was so I could at least think (if not say) F***U if somehow I proved them wrong. Okay, I was young and not thinking straight. I was allowed to pick my own team, given full autonomy, and money was no problem.

I rolled into New Hampshire in spring of 1974 along with nearly 200 (as I recall) of God’s soldiers in Dodge maxivans (Father’s fav at the time for the troops) and suitcases of cash. I approached the congressman’s campaign staff in an effort to coordinate with them, but was essentially told to stay out of the way; this was work for the grownups. Fine with me.

We worked 18/7 but had things happening around the clock. In a matter of days, my troops had virtually the entire state bumper stickered. When they would roll into parking lots, they sorta forgot to ask permission from car owners if they weren’t around. I thought I had paid extra for bumper stickers that could be easily peeled off, but later found the supplier apparently had a different definition of “easy.” Oops.

Teams would roll into a city or town in late night or early morning hours (less people around to say No) to staple or tape flyers everywhere. Local news began reporting about the odd blizzard of bumper stickers and flyers seemingly appearing all around the entire state simultaneously. The buzz wasn’t entirely favorable, but anyone will tell you almost any buzz is good buzz.

To keep the chatter going, we went lower key buying radio ads and other advertising. Created events, mailings, etc. All of it under a large number of sham names used by the Unification Church like the Freedom Leadership Foundation, etc. Anything other than Unification Church. Which was okay since we were doing God’s work for the messiah. We sort of saw ourselves as God’s special ops forces conducting missions behind enemy lines. LOL

When the congressman’s campaign people found we were behind this stuff, they called us asking “Who are you guys?” Since I didn’t want to talk to them again, I designated a liaison who essentially told them we were college groups of young Republicans. We gave them vague answers as to our identity and funding, and they didn’t push too hard for answers. The congressman’s poll numbers were rising.

We were rocking. Then Moon called for demonstrations again in Washington to support Nixon as the impeachment proceedings were getting ugly. I decided to take the team to Washington for a break. Yeah, driving to D.C. to fast for three days was a break.

The congressman learned we were there. When it was time to break our fast, he arranged for a private dining room in the Capitol Building. He wanted to meet me and rally the troops. Now we mattered. Great. When we got to the dining room, the clueless doofus had a huge buffet of all the foods you would/should not break a fast with and just about nothing else other than water. Super fatty prime rib, piles of fried chicken, heavy desserts, etc.

I told the congressman we would have to leave so the group could get something they could eat and drink, but maybe we could meet another day. But he wanted to talk now. He ordered a couple of his staff to immediately get soups, juices, and anything else we might like ASAP, and also get a doctor to the dining room for any feeling a little ill after the fast. It was kinda cool seeing a congressman jump through hoops to brown nose a young 20-something...me.

Once that was done, the congressman invited me and my liaison to join him in a private room. Rich wood paneling, deep leather chairs, dark lighting, etc. All that was missing was cigar smoke. But he did offer me a drink, and even though as good Moonies we didn’t drink, I couldn’t pass up the image of a 20-something in a cheap suit with a Scotch in his hand telling the congressman what he would and wouldn’t do for him. LOL.

Turned out he had known for a while we were really Moonies, but he was okay with that. No need to rock the boat. He was gushing about how effective we were; what a bright future I and the Moonie sitting next to me had in politics; blah, blah, blah. His most recent poll numbers showed not only was he continuing to rise, but he had a solid shot at getting the Senate seat in this hellish of all possible years for a Republican. He was pleasantly surprised and calling us great friends.

Then he dropped a bombshell. To us anyway. In a day or two he was going to announce he was no longer supporting Nixon and would also call for his impeachment. Political expediency. Take an issue away from his opponent.

When he told me that, I smiled while thinking “Great, now we’ll dump your ass.” After the meeting I reported his intentions. After three days of chanting “God needs Nixon,” I expected to hear something along the lines of close down the campaign operation. I mean, the troops were being told Satan was attacking trying to force Nixon’s impeachment or resignation. We wouldn’t keep trying to help someone who had now crossed over to Satan’s side. Would we?

Yeah, color me stupid. I was that naïve once. After a couple of hours I was told to take the team back to New Hampshire. Father wanted friends in Congress HE could count on. That was what mattered. I heard loud and clear.

Anyway, to wrap up this novella, I returned to New Hampshire. After a little while there, I drove to an airport leaving the UC and the campaign behind. The congressman? Later that year he won the race, before he lost it in a recount. The mess resulted in it being called the closest Senate race in U.S. history at the time. Later I heard the spin in the church was that Satan invaded me causing the loss of the race. But that privately they were really excited and wanted to try that again. Don’t know if they ever did; I closed that chapter in my life. We all do stupid things sometimes.

Conclusions? If someday I read there is proof Moon had bought and paid for a congressman or senator or two in low population states, I would not be surprised. That was the plan thirty years ago. Hopefully, though, the guy is just a very, very insignificant player continuing with his huge delusions of grandeur. Is Moon behind or partly the reason by some politicians toward religious extremism? I don’t know about that, but Moon sure wouldn’t mind seeing the planet Rapture ready. God vs Satan and all that.

On what could be a good or bad note, in the summer of ’74 I saw that it isn’t just a possibility, but a reality that a relatively small group of dedicated people can affect elections. Actually, that’s how this country has been getting screwed over for the last six years. But you can change it back.

Oh yeah, just like Nixon, I hate Bush. Moon isn’t on my Xmas card list either.

No comments: