Sunday, October 10, 2004

Bush interpreter says W uses an earpiece

Fred Burks has acted as an interpreter for George W. Bush. (Note: "translation" is written, "interpretation" is oral.) Burks wrote the following letter to Bob Fertik of Democrats.com, who avers that he has verified that Burks did indeed hold down that job:
As a deep insider myself, I have independent confirmation of President Bush using an earpiece to assist him in communicating intelligently with others. I've worked as a contract Indonesian language interpreter with the US State Department for over 18 years. I first started interpreting at the presidential level in 1995 at a White House meeting for President Clinton and President Suharto of Indonesia with their top advisors. You can read a short story of the many small miracles that led me to interpret for presidents at www.gcforall.org/inspirations (scroll down to Issue #1, where it is the second story).

On September 19, 2001, just eight days after 9/11, I was in the White House interpreting for an important 90-minute meeting between President Bush and President Megawati Soekarnoputri of Indonesia. This meeting made national news on all the TV networks, as at the time, the administration wanted to show they were supportive of our Muslim friends. Indonesia has the largest population of Muslims in the world. Over 80% of Indonesia's 220 million people are Muslim.

This was my first time interpreting for Bush. The previous day, I had been given the 22 points Bush would be covering in this meeting in order to familiarize myself with the topics to be discussed. About half of these "talking points" had to do with terrorism, which was to be fully expected given what had just happened. The other points, however, involved many details of Indonesian politics which even I would have had a tough time addressing, let alone Bush, who I assumed had limited knowledge of Indonesia.

During those 90 minutes, President Bush not only covered all the points, he covered them quite well and without any notes! Not once during the entire meeting did he look at any notes or receive cues from anyone present in discussing the Indonesian political situation with depth and intelligence. I was astonished! "How could this be?" I asked myself. It was a huge surprise. I concluded either that Bush was much more intelligent than we had been led to believe, or that somehow someone was feeding answers to him through a hidden earpiece. At the time, I really didn't know which of these was true.

Having worked directly with President Bush twice since then, and having additionally talked with many of my fellow interpreters who have worked directly with him, I am now certain that he could not have had that much knowledge of Indonesia. He doesn't even read the daily newspaper to keep up with what's being reported in the press. I am convinced that he must have been using some sort of earpiece through which someone was telling him what to say.

Having interpreted for media guests touring large TV studios, I've seen how the news anchors all have hidden earphones, and how the news producers are feeding them all sorts of information even as they talk live on TV. "20 seconds to a commercial," "15 seconds of filler here," "wrap it up quick " etc... This is standard practice for live TV shows. The "let me finish" comment made by Bush in the debate was only confirmation of something I already knew.

I will also mention that a number of months ago a colleague of mine was in the room with President Bush and his advisors when Bush threw a full blown temper tantrum filled with foul language and all. He ranted and raved at his advisors for a number of minutes to the shock and dismay of my colleague who was standing unseen in the refreshment corner. When he finally finished blowing off steam, Bush turned towards the refreshment table only to see my colleague standing there. He instantly switched into his "good ol' boy" friendly demeanor and said, "Hey, how ya doin' buddy?"

Politics is not a pretty business. I have many stories from my experiences interpreting at international conferences and secret meetings attended only our leaders and their interpreters. I have seen a number of our world's leaders (not just Americans) acting like high school boys playing power games. But for now, I just wanted to confirm my own strong belief that President Bush is often fed what he is supposed to say at important events. Though he can truly be a friendly guy, I have not found him to be particularly bright or competent. To be fair, I must admit that I tend to be of a more liberal persuasion, but I thought you all would appreciate knowing some of what goes on behind the scenes. You take care and have a great day!

With best wishes, Fred

PS Though I am still on contract with the State Department, I greatly reduced my work with them two years ago. I saw how important it was for me to devote my time to getting the word out through the websites I manage, and through email lists like this. I have done only three weeks' worth of paid work this year. Thankfully, I am able to draw on money I had set aside for retirement to support me in focusing full time on this important work. I want to invite you to look carefully at what you can do in your life to help build a better world in these important times. You might start by sharing this email with your friends and colleagues.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just reminded of an “I Love Lucy” episode which first aired 50 years ago. In “Lucy’s Mother-in-Law” Lucy wants to impress her Spanish-speaking in-laws and hires a translator who helps her use a hidden earpiece while he prompts her, as she pretends to speak fluent Spanish to Ricky’s family. It’s hilarious and very apropos right now.

By the way, I’m no conspiracy-theorist, but after reading everything about “Promptergate” and watching the clips, it is impossible to refute. Particularly as more and more credible sources like Fred Burks confirm the speculation. It will probably take a Saturday Night Live or Daily Show skit to bring this into the mainstream with any sort of impact.

Anonymous said...

I too think it's impossible to refute the fact (I say FACT...and it is FACT...Reuters says so) that Bush is wired. There are some idiots who are saying, "So what? It's like using a teleprompter." Huh? When a teleprompter is being used, everyone knows it is being used. A teleprompter would not and could not be used in a debate.

When is this going to hit mainstream newspapers as the scandal that it is?

Anonymous said...

Some could say, oh, it's just his version of a teleprompter. But, teleprompters aren't allowed in presidential debates. That's cheating. - jim@mysterybulge.com

Anonymous said...

In this White House photo, Bush, while driving a pickup at his ranch, is seen with a similar back bulge. It would be informative to know whether he was just doing photo ops that day or if his schedule included meetings that required him to say things Presidential. Certainly, a fair conclusion from this photo is that the budge cannot be blamed on Bush's French tailor.


http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/08/images/20020809-1_ranch8-515h.html

Anonymous said...

Yes

Try compare the ranch image with the one from fox...

you cant.

1 is with armor.
1 is with wire and reciever device.
Just a matter of time till their is more evidence to proof he cheated.

Its too obvious now....he will not be able to speak without his father.

Jolie said...

But why would Bush strap on "the box" under a tee-shirt? It makes no sense to me. You're right, though, it is DEFINTITELY the same device that he is wearing under his suit in the first debate. Can anyone explain why he would allow it to be so visible? Either it is something benign, or he was wearing a jacket at other times that day (not true, as evidenced by the other pictures), or he figured no one would notice???? It just gets curiouser and curiouser...

JD said...

Nice job on carrying this one, just saw your blog on the Channel 4 news.

Joy Tomme said...

I got it (re why Bush would wear the box under his T-shirt at the ranch)...he was practicing. God knows, he didn't practice enough. But everyone says that using the device is tricky and takes practice.

Anonymous said...

What a total load of crap. I would expect someone who's been calling shots in the CIA all his life to have a pretty good working knowledge of Indonesia-retard.

The "bulge" that everyone is talking about was caused when Bush left his jacket hanging on the back of chair forming a rectangular crease...idiots.

Fucking assholes like you just can't stand white men from Texas- the last people on the Earth politically correct to hate.

Joy Tomme said...

Called shots in the CIA all his life? Who? This President's FATHER was head of the CIA. (And Jr. doesn't ask Sr. for advice.) This Prez has headed up a sports corporation that failed and oil companies that failed before being Gov. of Texas. When did he call one shot in the CIA before being President of the US where Cheney and Kove have called all the shots?

Joy Tomme said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joy Tomme said...

That should read Cheney and Rove.

Anonymous said...

While I agree that all signs are pointing towards Bush wearing some kind of device, I feel Mr Burke's letter simply adds to the speculation rather than adding proof.

While Bush appears to know so little about so many things, he must do at least some homework before meeting the leader of another country. And a large part of the USA's investments in Indonesia are to do with oil, which Bush must have some knowledge of, even if he's no good at finding it.

The thing that bothers me most about the letter is that Mr Burke was only at the meeting in his role as interpreter. Ibu Megawati speaks English quite well. At least as well as Bush. She at least knows that the word terror has two syllables and is not pronounced "tehr".

There's probably a simple and innocent explanation to the whole thing, but the Republicans are loathe to explain it because as long as everyone is transfixed on the bulge, they're not going to be paying attention to crap coming out of Bush's mouth.

Anonymous said...

What a total load of crap. I would expect someone who's been calling shots in the CIA all his life to have a pretty good working knowledge of Indonesia-retard.

The "bulge" that everyone is talking about was caused when Bush left his jacket hanging on the back of chair forming a rectangular crease...idiots.

Fucking assholes like you just can't stand white men from Texas- the last people on the Earth politically correct to hate.



Bush is about as Texan as he is a 'man of the people.' Is this the extent of your wit? Why must you be so condescending?

If a man is so conscious about how meticulous his clothing looks as to use a French tailor, then he surely knows better than to hang the expensive jacket from a chair. Besides, the heat under those lights would have gotten rid of the hump, lump, whatever you want to call it. Get real and stop the insult comic bit; you suck at it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense that no one on Bush's staff realized how obvious the bulge looks. Maybe the Prez is not-too-smart, but other people around him are, and would have noticed it and nixed it. Or would have figured out a way to conceal it better. Get real, people. It's something, but it ain't a transmitter.

Anonymous said...

facinating t-shirts and custom t-shirts that are really cool.

Unknown said...

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.

Adding you to favorites, Ill have to come back and read it again later.

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Manxuria Investments Ltd said...

I with no reasonable doubt say that the info you provided above was right to the point as we all know it free forex signal can be very challenging and thus we should applaus to those that put in wore to provide us with all needed ideals and infomation. My self i`m very thankfull. You can get more ideals and info from my website free forex signal

Anonymous said...

Click here if your LOOKING for "No Charge Online Advertising Channels For Any Business"

Anonymous said...

Hey i got here searching for affiliate marketing multilevel program
Your sites not too bad!

You got good rankings for them keywords affiliate marketing multilevel program

Check out my site
affiliate marketing multilevel program

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Your site is the nicest one I have seen for a long time. I would be interested if could you send me a newsletter or some further information.

Regards,
article directory